Friday, March 20, 2015

Sewing and Quilting...and other stuff....

We are having a special event next month at our school, called "Come Grow With Us".  This is a spring event, and we are going to be adding to our organic garden , hopefully with a lot of really great vegetables, fruits and herbs.  But my point is that each class is making a fundraising project.  Ours is going to be a quilt.  First we traced each child's hand.  I hate to brag, but I have an EXTENSIVE collection of kid-friendly fabrics, so I brought in a huge bin and each child chose which one they felt expressed the true "them", and we cut them out.  Then we all practiced sewing on Ms. Amie's (my) sewing machine. 




 
The kids loved it!  I think I might bring the sewing machine back later for another project I'm thinking about.  I will definitely post photos when we finish the quilt.
 
 
 
Next came Dr. Seuss' birthday (the week of March 2).  We did a lot of fun things to celebrate:
 
We painted Cat in the Hat style hats with patterns of our choice, and posed for a group photo with them.
 

We read a LOT of Dr. Seuss books and use various props to retell the stories. 
 
 
 
 
After reading "The Foot Book", we traced our feet onto paper, and measured them with various items from our classroom.
 
 

We played a silly game called, "I Have, Who Has?", where everybody has to pay very close attention.

 
 
On to St. Patrick's Day....

 



 
 




 
Letter detectives looked around the classroom for words that start with various letters.

 

 
 
Dr. Linda Walters brought some students over from the biology department as well as some ocean friends to visit.  Not only did the kids get to learn some really interesting facts about the sea creatures, they could handle them if they wanted to!  There are definitely some benefits to being located on a university.
 

 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment