Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Recent Literacy Activities:
     Itsy Bitsy Spider book--children illustrated a familiar fingerplay and song with items from around our classroom to symbolize the story...



 
 
 
 
 
 
We have been enjoying a lot of our stories outside with the gorgeous weather we have been having.  We find a nice, shady spot and take a little break from running around.
 

 
Who says you need paper and pencils (or markers or crayons) to write?  
 
 


We are so lucky to have such a diverse population in our school and especially in our classroom.  Sometimes I forget how far these children have come with their verbal skills and English.  So I was cutting out the picture ABC cards (these would NEVER be used as flashcards, but rather for some different games with small groups with the children), this little guy asked what I was doing, and he started saying the words in his own language (I thought).  A lot of children won't speak their language to us despite any encouragement we give.  Once I realized what he was doing, I started trying to say the words to him, which made him laugh hysterically.  I wasn't sure if he was laughing at my accent or just happy that somebody was trying to speak his language--I'm still not sure.  


 
 
 

We use Conscious Discipline in our classroom, which in a nutshell means that we teach children to be responsible for their own emotions, whatever they are.  It's okay to be upset, angry, cry, or whatever, you just need to figure out what to do when you feel that way.  We spend a lot of time telling children things like, "Take a breath, you can calm yourself down." or  " Would you like to go to our safe place until you feel better?"  (It is ALWAYS their choice whether to go there and how long they need to stay--this is NOT a time out!)  

So today, I sat down at one of the tables in the classroom and banged my knee, which really hurt and I yelped, and one of my friends said to me, "Ms. Amie, take a breath!"  and she demonstrated how to do it--JUST LIKE WE DO!  So I took a breath and miracle of miracles!  I felt better.  Thanks T!


These are a couple of the centers I set up one day--this one had green Rosemary play dough that the class made and a bunch of materials to explore texture including rollers, bubble wrap, legos, wooden spools and popsicle sticks and seashells.

 
This child made an octopus...
 
 
This is a math center with paper, colored pencils (we like to make sure there are writing materials in every center), magnetic numerals, and various natural materials for counting or drawing or tracing. 
 
 
 
 
College students from the biology department came over and set up some ocean activities on our outdoor classroom.  We played Ocean Bingo, fished for different kinds of sea creatures, and played Sharks and Minnows. 
 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment